Tuesday, February 18, 2014

UNDERCROWN BY LIGA @JonathanDrew1

I first saw Liga cigars in a mail order cigar magazine!  They're made by Drew Estate.  For those of you not familiar with Drew Estate they're a cigar company started from scratch by a couple of college guys!  They're mainly known for their infused cigar brand ACID (flavored, but they hate that moniker)!  I have tried a couple of their infused cigars and wasn't a big fan to be honest, but to each his own.  I didn't realize that Drew Estate had been making natural cigars and great ones at that.  The Liga Privada Undercrown apparently falls under the great cigar heading or at least that's what the magazines said!  I have to admit it was hard for me to get past the whole infused cigar label attached to Drew Estate but I put on the blinders and broke down and bought a Liga Privada Undercrown at a local cigar shop!  The particular cigar I purchased was the robusto!  At a little over $8 a stick this was a pricey smoke indeed!  I left it in the humidor for about a week or so and then texted up EDG to bring a stick over and have a nice Sunday evening smoke!  

Country: Nicaragua
Wrapper: San Andres
Price: $7.45
Strength: Full
Length: 5
Gauge: 54


Created by the rollers of the Drew Estate factory, the Liga Privada Undercrown uses tobaccos similar to the Liga Privada #9 but that are more readily available. While the Liga Privada #9 is full flavored treat, the Undercrown is a little lighter on the palate. Wrapped in a dark San Andres maduro wrapper, the Undercrown starts with notes of coffee with a slight hint of spice that becomes more prominent as the smoke progresses. Even as it progresses, the cigar still manages to round out as a medium to full-bodied treat.

To be honest I wasn't very impressed with this cigar!  But let me first say that this baby was very well made and looks very nice in hand!  But sadly I didn't find the smoke to be very complex at all nor did I find it to be a powerful and full bodied cigar like I was expecting!  The draw was decent but I had to work the cigar a lot which is exhausting after a bit.  The smoke was full and rich smelling and the burn was true and even!  The cigar was a slow smoke which I didn't mind!  I don't know if I got a stick out of a green batch or I didn't let this thing acclimate in my humidor long enough!  I usually let any cigar I buy sit in my humidor a month prior to smoking and I didn't do that!  I'd like to give this another try sometime and hell I may even buy another and let it sit all winter!  I've saved about $2000 in my war-chest to spend on myself for Christmas this year to celebrate 3 years of freedom from slavery and I plan on buying some cigars so I may give this another try!  But if you're looking to try a beautiful looking cigar then get this and see what you think!  Everyone has different tastes!



No comments:

Post a Comment