Tuesday, February 11, 2014

HAMMER & SICKLE @HSCigars

I read about these cigars in a catalog from Corona Cigar.  At first glance I was intrigued.  Amazingly enough I was at a local cigar shop in Terre Haute, Indiana and I found a box of these!  The original box these were shipped in was a glass case and it was pretty cool!  I thought the cigar was pricey for a robusto size but since I have disposable income I said "fuck it" and bought one to take home and smoke!  I didn't wait my normal grace period of 1 month to smoke this baby.  I lit it up that evening and began enjoying it!  


Country: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Natural
Price: $8.12
Strength: Medium
Length: 5
Gauge: 50


Hammer & Sickle Robusto Natural cigars boast a five-year-aged Connecticut wrapper with a three-year-aged filler from the Dominican Republic. The smoke is medium bodied and ultra-smooth with notes of pepper and some sweetness along the journey, while pampering the palate with a luxuriously creamy finish. These cigars received rave reviews at the 2009 IPCPR trade show in New Orleans. 

I thought this was a fantastic smoke to be honest!  It was a mild to medium body smoke.  From start to finish the smoke was smooth and tasteful.  I found hints of leather, wood, and slight pepper.  What impressed me most about this cigar was the construction.  This was a well made cigar.  I actually managed to smoke it down to the label without the ash breaking off.  I was very impressed with that!  Overall I was happy with this cigar even though the price was a little steep!  I planned on buying a box of these back then, but I never got around to it.  I should get another couple of these cigars to keep in the humidor!


Padron 3000 Maduro: I first tried a Padron cigar about 2.5 years ago on a recommendation from EDG.  I bought a 2000 Maduro at Friar Tuck in Champaign, IL!  I was very impressed with that cigar!  A few months later I was at a cigar shop in Bloomington, IL - Smokers Choice.  For the record Smokers Choice is a great cigar shop!  They have an excellent selection of cigars and a place to enjoy them.  What is awesome though is they have a community beer fridge in their smoking lounge and that is cool!  I bought two Padron 3000 Maduros and put them in my humidor to acclimate!  I smoked the first one about a month or so after I bought them.  I was pretty disappointed in that cigar and got pretty sower on Padron as a result.  I forgot about that second cigar for a loooong time, but a few months ago I decided to try my last one and it was a lot better!

No comments:

Post a Comment