Thursday, July 11, 2013

BIGFOOT BARLEYWINE @SierraNevada



Great Divide has Yetti and Sierra Nevada has Bigfoot!  Yeti is a stout that comes in various forms from Oak aged to Chocolate and Espresso.  Bigfoot is simple…it’s a Barleywine style ale and it tastes fucking awesome!

Barley wine or Barleywine is a beer style of strong ale originating in England.  A barley wine typically reaches an alcohol strength of 8 to 12% by volume and is brewed from specific gravities as high as 1.120. It is called a barley wine because it can be as strong as wine; but since it is made from grain rather than fruit, it is, in fact, a beer.


Style: American Barleywine style ale
%ABV: 9.60
Brewery: Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., California
Price: 4-pack bottles $10


You either like Barleywines or you don’t.  I really don’t think there’s an in between for most and if you are in the middle you probably pick your ass and sniff it when nobody is looking.  I for one love Barleywines (American) because I love beers that are strong and hoppy!  If I had to compare a Barlywine to another beer I’d say it’s mostly similar to an Imperial/ Double IPA.  

Barleywines are very strong and flavorful and sometimes very bitter.  I believe the first barleywine I ever tried was from Stone Brewing around 2 ½ years ago at Friday’s!  To be honest the taste was overwhelming and when you combine its high ABV% it can become an ass-kicker reel fast! 


Bigfoot is no slouch in that department.  At 9.6% ABV it goes to your head real quick if you try drinking it like lower gravity beer and trust me if you get a little to cavalier you’ll find yourself starring down on what you had for lunch and dinner!  That being said Big Foot is fucking awesome (in small doses).   It’s a dark Amber-Brown almost reddish brown ale color.  There really isn’t a lot of head to it if you pour it correctly.  I think that Bigfoot is best enjoyed a little below room temperature so you can get the full flavor profile.  Bigfoot has a malty taste with notes of caramel and a distinct hop bite.  It’s a very good beer but it’s heavy too.  I think it’s best enjoyed in the frigid months because it’s a warmer.  With its higher gravity it can sometimes have a whiskey taste which sometimes fades with warmth!  Bigfoot is a staple in my beer fridge when it comes out.  Sierra Nevada also releases an Oak Aged Bigfoot which is aged in a whiskey barrel.  It’s a total ass kicker as well, but tastes amazing! 

If you like your beers on the stronger side with a nice hop kick then I suggest you look for Bigfoot in its forms and get a bottle or 4-pack and get to work acquiring a taste for barleywine style ales because I think you’ll find that you’ll become a fan like me!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment