Tuesday, August 6, 2013

COHIBA XV 550 @cohiba


Last Wednesday I turned into the Golden Werewolf which led to me doing things I didn’t think I was capable of or saying things that I didn’t know were buried deep in my perverted self conscious!  That being said the night started out innocent enough with a nice glass of Glen Moray single malt scotch and a Cohiba Extra Vigoroso (XV) on the porch of wisdom.  Luckily before I was brow beaten into going on a quest for  Zombie Dust I was able to finish this cigar, and it was definitely stronger than what I remember!





Country: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Maduro
Strength: Full
Length: 5
Gauge: 50
Price $10.99

The most distinctive leaf of a Cohiba XV cigar is its sun-grown Sumatra wrapper from Ecuador.  Harvested only from the tops of the tobacco plants, each of these wrapper leaves is aged in Terico for three years.  The flavor is then enhanced by aging all of the leaves again for six months in crates of fragrant cedar.  In crafting Cohiba XV cigars, the most flavorful Nicaraguan ligero and Dominican Piloto Cubano ligero are bound with the richest three year-old Connecticut broadleaf.  The result is a cigar that is made not only to please, but also impress.

I bought a box of these about a year and half ago without ever smoking one prior!  Luckily these turned out to be amazing cigars.  The XV is probably the strongest cigar Cohiba Dominican makes.  It’s a beautiful and well constructed cigar with deep earthy tobacco smells!  This particular one has been in my humidor for quite sometime!  The cut was true and clean.  The draw was a little tough and that’s always disappointing to me before I light up!  However the draw proved to not be an issues.  The XV started a little bitter which is the case with most cigars with a Nicaraguan blend!  As I smoked the XV notes of leather, earth and wood were ever present!  There were points where notes of cedar and just a hint of spice peaked through!  The finish was strong and I got a bit light headed.  The XV is not my favorite of Cohiba’s line but it is a great smoke needless to say!  The XV had some balls and I don’t remember it being that way which was a good way to start off the transformation to the Golden Werewolf!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment