Friday, June 28, 2013

SIERRA NEVADA HOPTIMUM @SierraNevada


When you see a beer named Hoptimium it better be hoppy and this was.  Hoptimum Imperial Pale ale bySierra Nevada is just what the label suggests , it’s a hoptimum level of hops!  Very similar to a girl who’s neither too skinny, too fat, to pretty, too ugly ect…she’s an optimum for you to bone!  Did that make sense?

Style: American Double/ Imperial IPA
%ABV: 10.4
IBU: 100
Brewery: Sierra Nevada
Beer Advocate: 93 Outstanding!

I’ve never had a bad beer from Sierra Nevada and the Hoptimum is right up there with some of the best double IPAs I’ve had in recent weeks.  I picked a 4-pack of this hoppy sweetness up at Baesler’s market a few weeks back.  When you’re a hop head and you see a label that says Hoptimum and boasts a whopping 100 IBU count then you’re pretty much obligated to put this in your cart regardless if you need it or not.  Hoptimum has potential to make all my other double IPAs act like jealous girlfriends.  It is a fantastic beer there is no doubt about it.  But I should warn you that the beer is so damn smooth the 10.4% ABV sneaks up on you as I found out on Sunday when I was relaxing with one of these and followed it up with a Lagunitas Brown Shugah Substitute then decided to mow the lawn.  After about 5 minutes of stumbling while mowing I realized I was buzz mowing so I called it off and took a 30 minute nap!  WOW!  That shit hit me quick! 

The beer pours a nice amber color.  The head is not to frothy with little lacing.  The taste is a hop killer right off the bat with a nice citrusy middle and dry finish.  You really wouldn’t know it was a double if you didn’t read the bottle.  Sierra Nevada did an excellent job of formulating this beer!  I definitely plan on getting more of this in the near future!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment