Thursday, June 6, 2013

COHIBA SIGLO VI TUBO


Few cigars on this planet can call themselves Cohiba…er actually two can, one from Cuba and the other Dominican!  We’re here to talk about the Cuban one, the one your elected government doesn’t want you to be able to buy! 

Cuban Cohiba's origins trace back to the middle 1960s, when a bodyguard of Fidel Castro shared some of his private supply of cigars made by a local artisan named Eduardo Ribera.  These cigars pleased Castro so much that a special production of the unbranded blend, produced under tight security, was made for Castro and other top government officials.

The Cuban Cohiba brand was formally launched in 1968 at the direction of Cubatabaco, the Cuban state tobacco marketing bureau. The head of Cubatabaco asked Avelino Lara, head of the El Laguito factory, to create a new super-premium blend which differed from all previously existing Cuban cigars.   During the first few years of production only a few thousand boxes were produced annually, reserved for the use of high government officials and frequently given away as diplomatic gifts.

The Cuban Cohiba brand was launched as a premium cigar brand into markets outside of the US in 1982 in conjunction with the 1982 World Cup held in Spain.   At the time of its first public launch, the Cohiba marque consisted of just three vitolas (sizes): the Panetela, the Corona Especial, and the Lancero. In 1989 three more vitolas were added: the Robusto, the Exquisito, and the Espléndido. These first six are now collectively known as the company's Línea Clásica (classic line).

I got my first Cuban Cohiba in Prague Czech Republic!  I smuggled it home and smoked it
one afternoon during the infant stages of what’s now called Beer N Cigars!  It was pretty awesome, but back then I wasn’t experienced enough to know what I was smoking or appreciate it for that matter!  The second was one I took to Colorado and enjoyed with Steveo!  Again not experienced enough!

This one here is what we like to call a Celebration Cigar.  We were celebrating my pal The Glacier’s taste of freedom from child support!  Yes his kid finally was of the age where his vampirific mother was no longer eligible to suck money from The Glacier!  That my friend is a special occasion to celebrate!  We did something similar last summer when Turbo finally settled up with his X the financial genius!  The Glacier purchased a three-pack of Cohiba Siglo VI Tubos and surprised us, he also brought several bottles of scotch, whiskey and rum for us to enjoy as well!

Cohiba Behike, the most exclusive linea of the most prestigious Habanos brand, arrived in April to the markets with three new formats: BHK 52, BHK 54 and BHK 56.  It’s extremely limited production incorporates for the first time in the blend of its three vitolas the tobacco leaf called “Medio Tempo” that grants it exceptional character and flavor!

Country: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuban
Strength: Medium
Length: 5.9
Ring Gauge: 52
Price: $39

I read some reviews as I started smoking this cigar and none of them were particularly good!  This worried me because I was holding a near $40 cigar in my hands that someone had purchased for me with their hard earned former child support money!  I kept an open mind and made a great cut and checked the draw which was great!  I lit the thing and began to focus on the cigar!  I didn’t care about the tasting notes or anything the reviews mentioned! 

If I’m honest with myself the Siglo VI is a great cigar!  Was it complex in taste…no!  Did it blow y mind like it did Turbo's…no!  For the record everything blows Turbo’s mind after he’s had a few drinks!  Ultimately this was a great cigar!  Would I like to have a box of these?  You bet your sweet ass I would but not necessarily because of the cigar, more because owning a box of Cohibas would be awesome!  If I stacked the Siglo VI up against other Cuban cigars I’ve had it is not the best but it is up there!  I guess I’m just indifferent to this cigar!  Maybe I’m still not experienced enough for the premium Cubans!  Last summer when we did Turbo’s celebration we had some premium Davidoff Millennium blend cigars and looking back I remember feeling the same way about it as I do about the Siglo VI.  Maybe it isn’t the Cigar, maybe it’s the occasion.  When you’ve been paying large sums of money to some dumb broad for the better part of 20 years I guess maybe there isn’t anything epic enough to pair with the feeling of knowing you won’t have to give money to some Dunt who you know is not going to use it for what it’s for? 

In the end the Siglo VI Tubo was 5 out of 5 maybe not for its taste.  More for the fact that it was consistently smooth from start to finish, burned even and true, had a fantastic draw, a well balanced taste…and it was a Cohiba and that’s all that matters!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment