Saturday, June 30, 2012

BEER N CIGARS 030512

This weeks Beer is the unbelievably awesome Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Stout from Great Divide Brewery in Denver, Colorado.  I’ve personally been to this brewery and I can assure you they make awesome beer, in fact their beer is “Turbo Amazing” and bro that is better than better!

According to Great Divide Brewery Espresso Oak Aged Yeti is a new addition to the Yeti clan. A generous infusion of espresso adds yet another layer of complexity to this beer, combining with the vanilla oak character, intense roasty maltiness and bold hop profile to create a whole new breed of mythical creature. It’s official: You can now have Yeti with breakfast.  9.5% ABV.  It should be enjoyed with:

Breakfast burrito, eggs Benedict, hash browns, cheesecake, creme brulee.

Beer advocate rates the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti 4.73 outta 5!

If you’re gonna try the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti the first thing I’d suggest is finding somewhere it’s on tap, the second thing…order it first and let it sit about 45 minutes or longer to achieve room or near room temperature.  This definitely brings out all the flavors in the beer.  It has a richness that I’ve never tasted in any stouts!  At 9.5% ABV one is pretty much enough, especially if you’re running Han Solo and driving!  I also recommend this brew post meal too, and eat a light one at that, like maybe an appetizer!  It’s a great beer as are all the offerings from Great Divide Brewery

I paired the aforementioned beer with a Romeo Y Julieta 1875 Maduro Reserve-robusto size cigar!

The Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro features a blackened Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, a tasty Nicaraguan binder, and a bold blend of Nicaraguan, Peruvian, and Dominican long fillers, creating a deep, fuller-bodied smoke with a lovely aroma and taste. Enjoy these flavorful cigars that appeal to both your taste buds and sense of smell.

Now I’m pretty sure post smoke n beer that this wasn’t the best cigar to pair with such a complex and tasty beer like the Yeti, and I’ll also say that I did the same thing a week or two earlier when I paired a Cohiba Black with this exact same beer!  The Strong maduro flavor clashes with the beer right off the bat, but I got used to it and struggled through both, albeit a nice struggle!  My suggestion is pairing the yeti with a more light to medium flavored cigar!  At $5 a snifter (12 oz. glass) for the beer and $8 for the cigar it was a moderately expensive outing, especially when you consider I fucked up with the pairing and probably didn’t enjoy either to their fullest!  Live and learn that’s what I say!

Cheers!

Epilogue:

For the better part of the last year I’ve been going out either Wednesday or Thursday, and sometimes Saturday to different dives that serve my favorite beer…craft beer.  Surprisingly there are several locations within 25 minutes of the shit hole I live in where I can find a ridiculously good selection of craft beers!  I’ve had more good beers than I can remember, in fact I’ve probably forgotten more beers than most people have tried!  That’s saying something because I have the memory of an elephant and trust me, that is a curse!  But Tasting tasty beer is a hobby of mine that I’ve recently discovered since I was liberated against my will sometime ago!  Feel free to send me a message about beers, I’ve probably tried it, or know someone who has, and if I haven’t then I’ll thank you for turning me onto some new beers!

Now Cigars are a completely different sin for me!  I tried my first cigar nearly 16 years ago!  It was a shitty cigar!  But my great uncle always smoked cigars and I always thought there was something completely bad ass about it!  I love pipes too, but they’re too much of a pain in the ass to mess with, and with my handlebar mustache I look to cliché for a pipe! Rudyard Kipling said in his poem "The Betrothed", "And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke” and Mark Twain said "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar."  I enjoy cigars!  Along with beer, they’re not great for me at all, but neither are women, and women have caused me much more physical damage than any beer or cigar ever could!  So I plan on giving a beer n cigar recommendation every week, or almost every week!  I hope everyone enjoys it and finds it useful and informative, along with my signature humor of course!

Slauncha!



No comments:

Post a Comment