Thursday, April 4, 2013

VICTORY STORM KING


When Turbo, the Assassin and I went on our road-trip to 3 Floyd’s we sampled a lot of good beers.  It so happens that at some craft breweries they serve “guest beers” which are beers they have on tap brewed by other craft breweries.  That’s where we discovered Storm King Imperial Stout by Victory Brewing

Back in my college days I was a huge stout fan thanks to my roommate the Wesel.  We drank any and every stout from Guinness to Beamish…most being English imported stouts.  Those stouts were bitter and although good, lacked complex taste!  Enter the Imperial Stout.  Imperial stout, also known as "Russian imperial stout" or "imperial Russian stout," is a strong dark beer or stout in the style that was brewed in the 18th century by Thrale's brewery in London, England for export to the court of Catherine II of Russia.  In 1781 the brewery changed hands and the beer became known as Barclay Perkins Imperial Brown Stout. When the brewery was taken over by Courage the beer was renamed Courage Imperial Russian Stout.  It has a high alcohol content, usually over 9% abv

Over the past 3 years I’ve tried several Imperial Stouts and they’ve all been fantastic, some even fantastically strong.  That definitely applies to Storm King!

Beer Advocate rates Storm King a 92 which is awesome!!

Popping the cap there is an almost coffee aroma that is really evident maybe even with a hint of chocolate.  The Pour is smooth and aromatic.  The beers head is not thick and creamy like a traditional stout but rather thick and foamy laced with air bubbles!  With an imperial stout I usually let it warm to room or near room temperature.  I find that this releases the full flavor profile and I believe stouts are meant to be drunk at room temperature like they’re traditionally served in the Commonwealth of England!  Taking the first drink an almost coffee-malty flavor even maybe sweet washed across the palette.  After a few drinks notes of chocolate malt are definitely evident with a slight bitterness.  Do to the higher alcohol content there is a slight hint of bourbon that may or may not be evident to some!  

I think this is one of the better Imperial Stouts I’ve tried in recent months.  I’m an IPA guy so I mainly drink IPAs, but when I drink Stouts I tend to only drink stouts because I find mixing and matching beers to be not so smart in the grand scheme of things!  If you’re a stout coinsurer then I recommend you head to your local Whole Foods or Binny’s and grab a 6er of Victory’s Storm King!  You won’t be disappointed!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment