Monday, April 29, 2013

RAMON ALLONES SMALL CLUB CORONAS


I got this cigar free with my last purchase from Bell Hop.  Admittedly I’ve never been a fan of the corona size cigar.  They always remind me of cigarillos and it makes me feel douchey smoking them.  But lately I’ve tried some fantastic corona format cigars, namely from Cuba, most recently the Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas.

Country: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuban
Length: 4.3
Ring Gauge: 42
Strength: Medium-full

Ramon Allones was created in 1837 and is not only one of the oldest cigar brands in Cuba but also one of the biggest names in Cuba’s cigar industry.  Ramon Allones was the pioneer brand that adorned its boxes with decorative labels and seals.  All cigars in the Ramon Allones family of cigars come from the Vuelta Abajo region and all have complex attributes to their tastes.

In 1999 it was a hard to find cigar.  It was less aggressive than a Lusitanias but more aromatic than a Punch, the Ramon Small Club Corona is a very good after meal cigar.  This double corona has a separate public, which is absolutely faithful to it.  It is a great Habano, generous, complete, deep and with an unmistakable aroma and flavor.  The Club Corona is the king of the Ramon Allones brand and one of the 20 best Habanos of the format range.

The cut was east and quick.  Before lighting I gave the stick a draw check.  It was a tad tight
but as I would find out after lighting it was just right.  I decided to light this baby up.  Like with all Cubans I’ve tried the instant you inhale the smoke is flavorful and enjoyable.  Some cigars from Honduras and other countries start off a bit harsh prior to revealing their flavor profile.  Not the case with Cubans and especially with the Club Corona. 

About an inch in it was evident this cigar was complex in character and flavor.  Notes of pepper and spice quickly gave way to what I can only describe as intense notes of tart, tangy, cream with a hint of a spicy finish. 

Every smoke was amazingly smooth and the complexity of the tobacco blew my mind.  The ash was a nice soot color almost dirty gray and held on for a long time before I had to eventually discard it for fear I’d drop it on myself and burn another hole in my shorts. 

The Club Corona is easily one of the most if not the most complex cigar I’ve tasted.  It was enjoyable from start to finish never letting up its complex flavors.  I would actually consider buying a box of these...that is if I could find one!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment