Monday, December 16, 2013

HERRERA ESTELI PIRAMIDE (@herreraestili)

Today Cigar Aficionado came out with their top 25 cigars of 2013 and number 8 on the list was a cigar that I can say without a doubt was one of my favorite cigars this past summer, the Herrera Esteli Piramide.  I lucky enough bought a box (25) of these a few months back and the day before Thanksgiving I enjoyed one with The Glacier and Turbo at Wabash Cigar.

Country: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Equadorian-Habano
Price: $10.75
Strength: Medium-Full
Length: 6
Gauge: 52
Manufacturer: Drew Estate

Master blenders from the famed El Titan De Bronze factory in Little Havana, Willy Herrera assumed the same title for Drew Estate in 2012.  The first project to bear his name for Drew Estate is the Herrera Esteli: a cigar that has taken nearly a year to blend and produce.  Comprised of Ecuadorian, Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos, the Herrera Esteli in unlike anything to ever come from the Drew Estate factory.  According the Herrera “it’s Cubanesque in natureand described as well rounded and flavorful but not too powerful”!

Earlier this summer I had the pleasure of trying my first Herrera Esteli in the robust size.  I bought a 5 pack from Emerson Cigar and they were fantastic, the Piramide was even better.  This cigar was a powerhouse of flavor and was a fantastic smoke.  At 6 inches in length it was IMO the optimum size to enjoy the fantastic blend of tobacco that the Piramide packs.  The construction of the cigar  was awesome with a nice cap and caramel colored wrapper.  I gave it a double cut and the dry draw was damn near perfect.  

Upon lighting the cigar produced thick, dense-white smoke.  Right off the bat there were notes of spicy-earth with maybe hints of cinnamon and cedar.  As the smoke progressed there were notes of pepper and leather which played well together on the palette.  The draw continued to be amazing.  I had to slow down because I was smoking the cigar too fast, it was that good.  The burn was perfect.  Not once did I have a runner and have to even it up! about halfway through the cigar became almost creamy smooth with hints of vanilla...eventually those notes gave way to a strong tobacco taste towards the end.  This was a powerful cigar as well.  The bill says medium to full.  I would err on the side of full because I had a little buzz towards the end.  

I highly recommend this cigar.  Past reviews of mine haven't been kind to Drew Estate, but their acquisition of Willie Herrera was a great move because this guy is a fantastic blender and I think the sky's the limit for he and Drew Estate Cigars!  

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment