Thursday, December 12, 2013

DAVIDOFF NICARAGUA (@Davidoff_Cigars)

I'm a huge Davidoff fan.  Despite the price I believe Davidoff is one of the few cigar brands where you in fact get what you pay for.  For the first time in it's history Davidoff decided to produce a Nicaraguan Puro cigar and I was excited to get a few and try them.  

Country: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Strength: Mediumm-Full
Size: Robusto Tubo
Length: 5
Gauge: 50
Price: $13.90

Davidoff Masterblenders, led by Hendrik "Henke" Kelner, went on an exploration for a new type of blend that would stimulate both the bitter and sweet taste buds.  This relentless pursuit took them to Nicaragua and the fiery volcanic soil of the Esteli, Condega, Jalapa and Ometepe regions.

With time, patience and perseverance the team crafted The Davidoff Nicaragua.  with 10 years of preparation, curing and aging the Davidoff Nicaragua delivers an exceptional blend with all the intensity, excitement and refined sophistication aficionados would expect from Davidoff.  Handmade in Davdidoff's dominican facilities, it's quality and exceptional craftsmanship are unsurpassed.

As I mentioned in the intro I was excited when Davidoff released their take on a Nicaraguan.  I went so far as to preorder a 4-pack.  When I got them in they were great looking.  Davidoff's presentation is always top notch and this was the case with the Nicaraguan.  Davidoff cleverly packaged these cigars in a matte black box with matte black tubes and finished it off with a matter black band around the cigar.  They're fine looking all around.  At 5 X 50 these are around my favorite size to smoke.  The dry draw was ok, not tight but not great.  I detected heavy hints of tobacco and leather with the dry draw.  After the first few puffs post lighting the Nicaraguan didn't exhibit the bitter start of most Nicaraguans.  The burn was even and mostly true.  Well into the cigar I noticed subtle hints of spice and pepper with notes of cocoa and coffee.  The cigar never got too complex.  3/4 through the cigar there were more hints of pepper but subtle.  

I was disappointed in the Davidoff Nicaraguan.  Maybe it was because I built it up too much do to all the fantastic cigars from Davidoff I've enjoyed in the past.  I guess I expected a more refined and complex cigar in the Nicaraguan.  Don't get me wrong it was a great cigar, but at $13.90 a stick I think I can find way better Nicaraguan offerings from the likes of Tatuaje, and My Father Cigars.  I would't recommend the Davidoff Nicaraguan until they refine the blend and/ or commit to making a more powerful cigar which I doubt they will.  However with Davidoff acquiring the Camacho family of cigars I think that might go a long way in helping Davidoff create and explore new blends for future releases!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment