Saturday, March 30, 2013

STONE IPA @StoneBrewingCo


When I was getting divorced one of the first beers I tired was from Stone Brewery.  I’ve reviewed some Stone beers before most notably the Arrogant Bastard Ale.  One that goes unnoticed for me is Stone’s IPA which is retarded considering how much of a Hop-Head I claim to be.  GQB7 and I were in Champaign a few weeks back and we stopped at Faren’s Pub and they had Stone IPA on tap so naturally I ordered up a pint and let the enjoyment commence.

First released in 1997 this Left Coast IPA utilizes Columbus, Chinnok, and Centennial hops..  by definition an IPA is hoppier and higher in alcohol content then its little brother , the pale ale!  Stone IPA is one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country.  This award winning golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hope aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character!  This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Beer Advocate rates Stone IPA a 95 which is excellent on all levels!

At 6.9% ABV and 77 IBUs Stone IPA is the quenticential IPA for anyone who likes IPAs or are getting into them.  The first sip is a bit harsh as the bitterness overwhelms your palet.  But after a few drinks the flavor profile explodes and you soon realize why this is such a highly rated IPA.  I recommend Stone IPA if you like for instance New Belgium Ranger IPA… they are very similar!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment