Sunday, March 17, 2013

SAM ADAMS VERLOREN @SamuelAdamsBeer


I often forget that Sam Adams was pretty much one of the first micro brews to make it big.  They pretty much figured out the big brewers like Miller, Coors, and Anheiser Busch were making shit beer and wanted to brew something normal men could drink!  Sam Adams has been doing that for a long time with their Boston Lager being probably their most famous beer and one of most widely drank beers around.  When you hit a bar I will bet ya they have one of Sam Adams beers on tap or in bottle.  That being said the boom of micro brews currently has given birth to some amazing and unique tasting beers.  This trend hasn't gone unnoticed by Sam Adams!  Over the past few years Sam Adams has been putting out their "small batch" line of beers.  These beers are often only brewed in limited release and involve beers brewed with anything from chocolates to chills.  Some even involve beers that have been reengineered from beer found at archaeological sites or in sunken viking ships!  The first one I tasted was Verloren!

A link to the ales of Saxony that had all but vanished, this Gose is a peculiar yet captivating brew.  With a base of an unfiltered wheat ale, it’s vivid and refreshing yet also has a softness to it.  The flavor is brought to life by an unexpected touch of salt for a mineral quality, and coriander for a peppery spice, resulting in an unusual and delicate, yet flavorful brew.

Beer Advocate gives Verloren an 80 

At 6.0% ABV Verloren is a modestly strong beer!  When I tasted it definitely had the wheat beer characteristics that I've grown to not particularly like.  But actually I liked this beer because the wheat profile wasn't overwhelmingly strong.  Verloren was a smooth beer from the time it touched my tongue and after the taste set in!  Like I've said in previous posts I'm not a big wheat beer guy, but I will try ones that interest me and Verloren did just that.  At around $4.00 a bottle it's not pricey compared to brands like Dogfish Head who also are putting out concept style beers similar to Verloren.  For the price I think it's a great beer.  If you're a Blue Moon fan then I know you will like Verloren a lot.  Sam Adams has definitely hit a homer with their small batch beers and I have several sitting on the shelf waiting on me to open em and enjoy their tasty goodness!  So if you're out stop by your local Binny's or Friar Tuck and grab some of the Sam Adams small batch beers!  I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment