Friday, October 18, 2013

CIGAR CITY JAI ALAI @CigarCityBrewery

When you have a cool girlfriend they tend to do awesome shit for you!  I have a cool girlfriend and she does awesome shit for me...like going to Florida and being thoughtful enough to bring me back some really good beer from Cigar City Brewery (@CigarCityBeer)!  She made a special trip out of her way and secured two (2) 6-Packs of said brewery's beer for me.  The first one Jai Alai IPA was amazing just like my FTG (Full Time Girlfriend)!

Type: English India Pale Ale (IPA)
IBU: 70
% ABV: 7.5
Brewery: Cigar City Brewing, Florida
Beer Advocate: 94 Outstanding!

I watched an episode of Drinking Made Easy a few years back and they were at Cigar City Brewing!  At that time I highly doubted I'd ever get to try any of their beers because I don't particularly like the state of Florida for a number of reasons and I have no plans on ever going to that state.  So I sat and with a heavy heart and wished I could try some Cigar City beer.  A few months back the stars aligned.  I was reading an issue of Cigar Press magazine and they had a feature on Cigar City beer and I knew my GQB7 (my FTG) was going to Florida with her family for vacation so naturally I popped the question...the important one...Can you get me some beer from Cigar City?  She being the thoughtful and considerate girl that she is of course said yes!  She brought me back a 6 pack of Jai Alai IPA and Maduro Brown Ale!  

Jai Alai was an awesome IPA.  I would go so far as to say it is one of the better IPAs I've had this year.  It came in a 12 oz can which I think is always cool!  The Beer poured a yellow orange with a nice lacy and foamy head.  There were floaties in the beer which IMO is always a good sign!  Jai Alai had a nice bitter hop taste with hints of floral notes and some slight malt.  at 70 IBUs this is an optimal beer as far as IPAs go.  It's not too bitter and not too weak!  I'd say this is comparable to Ranger but maybe a little more complex but not near as complex as Zombie Dust.  If you have a beer that falls between those two then you have yourself a great beer and Jai Alai is just that...a great beer.  I hope I get a chance to get some more because 6 is not enough for me!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment