Monday, September 3, 2012

CIGARS 090212


Camacho Coyolar Puro Rothschild (Camacho Black) - I first got this cigar  in a 5 pack sampler back in August.  They've been in the humidor for about a month now.  Camacho Coyolar Puro Rothschild Dark Natural cigars set a whole new standard for bold, EXTRA-full-bodied tobacco flavor. These stunning cigars are handmade with a mucho potent blend of all-Honduran-grown long-filler tobaccos grown on the Coyolar farm (where this cigar gets its name). The smoke is well-balanced and aswarm with dark, earthy, spicy flavors. Best recommended for the cigar smoker with a hard-core palate - seriously! 


This cigar took me a good two hours to enjoy and I use the word enjoy liberally!  The cigar had a better than average draw which seems to be the case with all Camachos.  The ash burnt even and true!  The smoke was rich smelling and had hints of spice, but mostly woody. I thought the flavor was a little bitter but I think if I smoked a few more I would acquire a taste for this particular offering from Camacho.  It took me awhile to find the sweet spot and I'm not even sure I ever found it.  I was a fairly smooth smoke all the way from start to finish!  I purchased these off my iPhone app; Cigar Monster through Famous Smoke.  


Of all the Camacho lines I've tried this is probably my least favorite.  For a Cigar just under $7 I thought it could've done more for me.  However when compared to other cigars in a similar category this one holds up well, I just don't see myself ever buying a box like I would with Camacho's triple maduro or Corojo lines.  All that being said try one if you get a chance and make your own judgement!

Joya de Panama Robusto - I first read about these offerings from the mountains of Panama in an article in Playboy last spring.  It peaked my curiosity so I decided to buy a sampler pack of five.  

Joyas de Panama cigars are quality artisan products made of organic Cuban seed tobacco. The leaves are hand selected and examined for quality assurance. No chemicals, pesticides or machines are used in the growing or production of this sustainable product. The cigars are mild to medium in flavor, thus accessible to a wide audience of enthusiasts.

The cigars are 100% puros, all Panamanian product. Cigars are individually wrapped in cellophane, and bundled or boxed in packs of 25. 

Panama has a rich history of cigar manufacturing for over 100 years. The tobacco is grown in the Chiriqui province of Panama, a lush region well known for it’s agricultural products. The rich volcanic soil and shade canopy give the tobacco it’s Colorado Maduro color and smooth, full flavor. The consistent tropical climate of Panama has been a prime location for cigar production, much like her neighbors, Cuba, Nicaragua and Honduras.

The cigars are constructed of a long filler with Sumatran wrapper. They are mild to medium in flavor, with a smooth, even draw. These smokes have been described as imparting a spicy nutmeg flavor, blending rich leather with hints of rum and oak.

I've had these in my humidor since late July so they had ample time to acclimate.  I was excited to try these cigars but like the Camacho I wasn't all that impressed.  The draw was a little too tight and if you've ever fought a cigar with a poor draw it can become exhausting and unenjoyable after a bit!  The burn was even and the ash was very consistent with a slight grey color.  I thought the cigars were very well made.  The taste was very earthy.  I didn't find any hints of spice tough.  I thought the smoke was earthy as well with a slight richness.  I wonder if the cigar had a better draw if I would've had a more enjoyable smoke?  I need to try another one in 6 months or so.  The Jury is still out on these cigars.  If you plan on trying a few e-mail their company and haggle with them over shipping...they're a new company and need to build a solid base so they may be willing to send you the cigars for free shipping.  I can't recommend these or tell you to stay away.  I think you should find out for yourself if you have about $40 lying around!

Cohiba Robusto - This is one of the first Cubans I've tried since the whole Partagas fiasco back in June.  I bought two of these off BellHop Cigar.  At $24 a piece you might think these are a bit pricey but I'm one of the very few people who actually benefited financially from getting divorced so I can afford to be stupid at times.  I purchased these to take to Colorado for Steveo and I to enjoy at one of the Cigar bars we hit up from time to time!  

The Cohiba Robusto is a great example of quality materials, incredible construction and perfect balance between power and flavor.  The Cohiba has a hint of clover among the base flavor of wood and spice!
I've smoked some good cigars over the past few years with Opus X and Davidoff being two of my favorites.  I thought the Cohiba was comparable.  The draw was excellent and the flavor was smooth from start to finish.  It wasn't very complex just basically a workman like smoke with hints of spice and wood just like the description said.  The ash burnt perfect as well as a remarkable even burn.  The smoke was very aromatic as well!  

The only cigar I remember being as enjoyable as the Cohiba was the Davidoff Short Perfecto!  It might have a slight advantage over the Cohiba in taste and definitely price!



No comments:

Post a Comment