Tuesday, October 16, 2012

NEW BELGIUM 1554 @newbelgium


What’s that you say?  An awesome beer brought to you by the amazing peeps at New Belgium Brewery??  Ranger?  No actually it’s not Ranger or an IPA for that matter it’s none other than New Belgium’s 1554 Enlightened Black Ale!  A great beer!

I first tried 1554 a few years back when I was at New Belgium with Steveo.  We got it in a sampler!  I saw that they just shipped a new batch on twitter the other day so I hip-hopped my sexy ass over to Terre Haute to Baesler’s and whala they had a 6er of it!  So I grabbed it and marched on to McHooligan’s to store it with all the other hoppy goodness I’m accumulating for DEC 21 2012!!!! 

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

Beer Advocate rates 1554 an 87 which I think is a little low!

I recently enjoyed this tasty number with my homemade Philly Cheese Steak that I am happy to announce have finally perfected!  If you’re ever at my place then ask nicely and I may make you one!  I have indeed made one for someone and she liked it and this cat don’t cook for broads very often if ever!

At first sip this isn’t your run of the mill dark ale.  This thing has some balls!  I liken it to a lighter porter with a kick!  There are notes of carmel and hints of hoppiness!  I featured it last month at McHooligan’s for Happy Hour Man Beer Club!  

I have a few left and will be giving more samples at the end of the month for my Roctober Happy Hour!!  Hopefully you get and invite and can swing by and try one!!!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment